Cold sores are tiny blister formed around the lips,or at the edge of the lips and sometimes at the base of the nose.They are caused by cold,anxiety,stress,or extreme exposure to sun. They are communicable disease in that thy can be passed from on person to another through physical contact like kissing.
They are mainly caused by HSV-1 (Herpes simplex virus). They take up to two weeks to heal but sometimes can recur.The following points are home remedies for cold sore.
1. Apply petroleum jelly on the affected area. This will help reduce the discomfort that is brought about by soreness. It will also assist in preventing secondary infection caused by bacterias. Avoid the use of makeup to cover the cold sore since it will worsen that situation and may increase the area of infection.
2. Buy a new tooth brush when the cold sores develop and also when they disappear. Always use clean water to brush your teeth three times in a day. Tooth brushes harbor a lot of viruses and that’s why it is important to change frequently.
3. Protect your lips from too much sun by using the lip sunscreens or lipstick that contain sunscreen.
4. Don’t disturb it by pressing or pricking it. This could lead to more infections. Hygiene is very important avoid kissing, sharing of cups or other utensils, and towels. Always wash hands thoroughly especially after touching it. Take extreme care not to touch your eyes and genitals since they may be infected.
5. If pain persistent you can decide to buy painkillers over the counter through the prescription of a professional doctor.
6. Prevention is better than cure you can practice stress management techniques as a home remedies for cold sores. You can do this by exercise, yoga and meditation. You can also avoid foods which have high content of salt like the chips and also citrus fruits as thy can irritate the cold sore a great extend.
7. Use of Licorice powder with cream and vegetable shortening and then apply on the cold sore. Use a small amount of Licorice since it has great side effects if used in large amounts.
8. Ice packs can also be used for temporary relief. Tasty ones will be of great importance since they are more comfortable.
9. Soak a ball of cotton in cold milk. This will help in reducing discomfort on the cold sore.
10. Since cold sores are triggered by stress you can suck zinc lozenges which will help in boosting your immunity and also drinking plenty of water which is the recommended eight glasses.
Home remedies for cold sores is the alternative of the traditional medicine. If symptoms persist you can consult a doctor for further treatment.